Here is a collection of our most asked accommodation questions received from students, agents and parents.

Frequently Asked Questions

A bond is an amount of money you pay at the start of a lease in addition to your rent. Most rental lease agreements you enter into will require you to leave a bond.
It's a one-off payment and is usually equivalent to four weeks of rent.

You pay this amount to your landlord, but it is held by the NSW Department of Fair Trading.

You must pay the bond as a guarantee to the landlord against any damage you may cause to their property, or in case you miss any rent payments.

If you don't cause any damage to the property and you've paid all your rent on time, you will get your bond money back.

If disputes arise over getting your bond refunded, you can speak to the UTS Legal Service. This is a free service open to UTS and College students.

This will depend on you! What do you enjoy doing? What environments do you like? What is your budget?

If you want to live close to the campus, and you love a buzzing city environment, be prepared to spend more on your rent. If you prefer a slower pace, there are plenty of quiet suburbs in Sydney where you might feel more comfortable. If you enjoy outdoor activities, a room in a beach-side apartment might be the best option for you.

Sydney is a safe city, but it's important to live in a suburb where you feel safe. Choose a room or flat to live in that's easy to reach by public transport. Then, you won’t have to walk long distances or through dark streets to get home in the evenings. 

It's a good idea to do some research before deciding which suburb you want to live in.

You can explore Sydney suburbs online via or Domain.

  • Most lease agreements will have a minimum notice period, which you must meet.
  • Homestay requires a minimum two weeks’ notice of departure. 
  • For private rentals, you need to check the terms of your lease. This will tell you how much notice you need to give your landlord or agent that you're moving out. 
  • Some lease agreements will require you to find substitute tenants before you can end your lease and move out.
  • In any case, you need to know what's in your lease agreement. If you have any doubts or would like your lease agreement reviewed before you sign it, you can take it to the UTS Student Legal Service. As a UTS College student, you have access to UTS services, including the Student Legal Service. The legal professionals in this office will be happy to review, clarify and advise you on your rental agreement.
  • Make sure you're moving into new accommodation that's safe and comfortable for you.
  • You should leave your previous accommodation in the same condition that you leased it in. Then, you can receive a full refund of your bond money. You need to make sure that you've paid all your rent and returned any sets of keys issued to you. Do not keep copies of keys.
  • You'll need to change your address with UTS College within 7 days of moving. You can log on to e-student to update your personal details.
  • You should also change your address with all other organisations you're registered with, for example, your bank, employer, doctor or health insurance provider. Then, they can send your mail to the correct address.
If your parents are visiting and you wish to stay with them, you can apply to the student accommodation team for a short stay with parents. You must complete a Short Stay Application Form and send to accommodation team along with other supporting documents for approval.
You must discuss with the Student Success Adviser (SSA) team and accommodation provider if you wish to travel during recognised holiday periods. Leave applications must be confirmed by UTS College SSA team. Holiday Application Form including written permission from your parent/legal guardian will be required, as well as a copy of your flight itinerary.

If you are an international student under 18 years of age you must use UTS College approved airport transport or have made alternative arrangements approved by UTS College. Please arrange and pay for this service at least two weeks before arrival.