Get the right support and advice whenever you need it. Our student support services are here to make your life easier, whether you need study tips, a place to live, or help when things go wrong.

Frequently asked questions

Our Study Success Advisers can provide you with the academic support you need to succeed. They have study tips, advice and tools to help you with all kinds of things, including:

  • time management
  • study planning
  • assignment preparation
  • essay writing
  • study skills

They also run regular study skills workshops.

Drop in to the HELPS Centre to get advice on your English Program.

Find more information and tips for managing your studies on our Academic support page.

If you’ve forgotten your password or need to update it, you can reset it using out How-to guides on the IT Support page.

Your new password can be used to log in to all UTS systems and networks. 

TIP: It’s a good idea to change your password every six months.

International students over 16 are not eligible for concession travel. You will need to use an eligible credit card or Adult Opal card, which you can purchase from most convenience stores and newsagents. 

Domestic students can apply online for a concession card.  

Find out more about the concession application process and getting to UTS College.

It is best to first seek advice from the Student Accommodation Coordinator in the Student Centre if you need to change your homestay arrangements. They will give you important information about the steps you need to take, and help ensure you are not breaching your visa conditions (if you are an international student).

If you are over the age of 18, you need to give two weeks notice to your host family if you wish to change your arrangements and notify your Homestay Coordinator of your new contact details. 

If you are an international student and under the age of 18 you must live in College approved accommodation (unless you live in accommodation approved by the Department of Home Affairs). 

Find out more about Homestay accommodation.

If you asked UTS College to arrange your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), you will have Comprehensive cover through Medibank.

It’s important that you visit the Medibank website or use the Medibank OSHC mobile app to activate your OSHC membership once you arrive in Australia. 

After you activate your membership, your Medibank OSHC card will be sent to your Sydney address, so make sure Medibank has these details. 

If you would like to update your details in person, you can visit the Medibank office. 

Medibank Private office (closest to UTS College)
World Square, 644 George Street 
9.00am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday

If you arranged your own overseas student health cover, be sure to contact your health insurance provider as soon as possible after you arrive in Australia. They will help you to activate your cover and provide you with a card. 

Find out more about Overseas Student Health Cover.

Contact us

Phone (general enquiries)

(+61 2) 9514 1192

Phone (emergency)

1800 249 559


Ground Floor
187 Thomas Street
(Blue Building)
Haymarket NSW 2000


(+61 2) 9218 8666



Ground Floor
187 Thomas Street
(Blue Building)
Haymarket NSW 2000

Monday to Friday (9 am – 5 pm)
except Public Holidays.


Level 4
187 Thomas Street
(Blue Building)
Haymarket NSW 2000

Monday to Friday (9 am – 5 pm)

For individual contact details,
please visit the Advisers page.