Here is a collection of our most asked accommodation questions received from students, agents and parents.

Frequently Asked Questions

This depends largely on where you want to live in Sydney. As a general rule, the further you move out from the Sydney Central Business District (CBD), the less you will pay in rent. 
A private room in shared accommodation will usually cost between $300 and $400 per week. A one bedroom apartment in Sydney's CBD has a median cost of $580 per week. Source of this data:
Of course, prices will depend on the popularity of the suburb you choose, its transport connections and amenities. Another consideration is the kind of home you pick, with luxury adding to the price of your room.

You should be prepared to spend at least $300 per week to live in a single room in Sydney, especially if you want to be close to the city.

It can be hard knowing where to look for accommodation when you are new to Sydney.

Student residences are a great option as they are centrally located. They are set up to give students a lot of support, especially when you first arrive and need to find your feet in an unfamiliar city.

There are also lots of housing options in the private rental market. If you're looking for this kind of accommodation, many websites advertise shared housing in Sydney, for example, If you use these websites, make sure you go to inspect the property before you make any payments.

UTS has a private listings service, which will also make searching for an apartment or a room easier.

As a UTS College student, you can access the service, but you'll need to register using your student number and other details. The listing shows rooms and properties available and tells you the distance between them and our city campuses.

Again, if you want to rent one of the rooms listed, you should call the contact person and arrange a viewing before deciding and making payment.

For more information on finding a place to live in Sydney, visit

A bond is an amount of money you pay at the start of a lease in addition to your rent. Most rental lease agreements you enter into will require you to leave a bond.
It's a one-off payment and is usually equivalent to four weeks of rent.

You pay this amount to your landlord, but it is held by the NSW Department of Fair Trading.

You must pay the bond as a guarantee to the landlord against any damage you may cause to their property, or in case you miss any rent payments.

If you don't cause any damage to the property and you've paid all your rent on time, you will get your bond money back.

If disputes arise over getting your bond refunded, you can speak to the UTS Legal Service. This is a free service open to UTS and College students.

This will depend on you! What do you enjoy doing? What environments do you like? What is your budget?

If you want to live close to the campus, and you love a buzzing city environment, be prepared to spend more on your rent. If you prefer a slower pace, there are plenty of quiet suburbs in Sydney where you might feel more comfortable. If you enjoy outdoor activities, a room in a beach-side apartment might be the best option for you.

Sydney is a safe city, but it's important to live in a suburb where you feel safe. Choose a room or flat to live in that's easy to reach by public transport. Then, you won’t have to walk long distances or through dark streets to get home in the evenings. 

It's a good idea to do some research before deciding which suburb you want to live in.

You can explore Sydney suburbs online via or Domain.

UTS College students under 18 years of age must live in UTS College approved accommodation and welfare arrangements. For detailed information on accommodation for under 18s, please see Options for under 18s.

Yes, you should always do this! You should arrange a time to view the room or apartment you want to rent, to ensure it's as shown in the photos. You can also make sure it will suit your needs.

If you're thinking about booking a room in a student residence, most will be happy to show you around their premises and a display room.

It's always a good idea to view the room or property you'd like to rent and ask lots of questions.

  • Most lease agreements will have a minimum notice period, which you must meet.
  • Homestay requires a minimum two weeks’ notice of departure. 
  • For private rentals, you need to check the terms of your lease. This will tell you how much notice you need to give your landlord or agent that you're moving out. 
  • Some lease agreements will require you to find substitute tenants before you can end your lease and move out.
  • In any case, you need to know what's in your lease agreement. If you have any doubts or would like your lease agreement reviewed before you sign it, you can take it to the UTS Student Legal Service. As a UTS College student, you have access to UTS services, including the Student Legal Service. The legal professionals in this office will be happy to review, clarify and advise you on your rental agreement.
  • Make sure you're moving into new accommodation that's safe and comfortable for you.
  • You should leave your previous accommodation in the same condition that you leased it in. Then, you can receive a full refund of your bond money. You need to make sure that you've paid all your rent and returned any sets of keys issued to you. Do not keep copies of keys.
  • You'll need to change your address with UTS College within 7 days of moving. You can log on to e-student to update your personal details.
  • You should also change your address with all other organisations you're registered with, for example, your bank, employer, doctor or health insurance provider. Then, they can send your mail to the correct address.