How Australia can help you

Outside of the UTS College network, there are many local, state, and federal services available to you as student. Read more to find out how they can help you.

Know your rights

There are certain rights you are guaranteed in Australia, regardless on whether you’re an international student or born and raised in Australia. Keep reading to find out more on your protections while studying and living here.

Overseas Students Ombudsman

The Overseas Students Ombudsman (OSO) investigates issues that overseas students have with universities, schools and training institutions in Australia. Learn more to lodge a complaint or the details of what the Ombudsman can investigate.

Tuition Protection Service

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) can help you if your school is unable to fully deliver your course of study. The TPS may also aid you if you have withdrawn from, or not started, your course and are eligible for a refund of tuition fees and the institution has not paid them. Find out more about the TPS at the service’s website

Consumer protections

Have you ever bought an unreliable appliance or get overcharged for a service? Well, the government can help you. Australian Consumer Law includes legal protection guaranteeing consumer rights when buying goods and services, even to international students. If you have a problem with goods or services that you have bought or are considering buying, visit the NSW Fair Trading website. There, you can also lodge a complaint about a business and learn more about your rights as a consumer.

Get life help

The Australian government, just like UTS College, wants to make your time studying in Australia the best it can be. Below is more information on how the government can help cover all your personal needs.

Student associations

Australia has a number of associations aimed at helping international students adjust to their university life. The Council of International Students Australia (CISA) is a national student representative body for international students studying at the undergraduate and foundation level. The Australian Federation of International Students (AFIS) helps international students in maximizing their experience living and studying in Australia.

Disability support

Australia has laws that protect individuals from discrimination in education. A person with a disability has just as much right to study as any other student. Many institutions also offer services to accommodate students who require assistance with their studies because of a disability or chronic medical condition. Read more about disability rights.


The Australian government provides financial assistance to help parents with childcare costs. International students who receive government scholarships may be eligible to receive the child care benefit. Check out your eligibility.

Find health resources

If you’re having a hard time, know that you don’t have to go through it alone. While UTS College has many resources to help, additional government support systems are available to anyone living or studying in Australia.

Lifeline - 13 11 14

Lifeline is a free national service that provides crisis support, suicide prevention and mental health support for managing work, family or society stresses and physical and mental wellbeing. Lifeline offers support via phone or through their online chat available on their website.

Kids Helpline - 1800 551 800 

Kids Helpline is an anonymous, 24/7 telephone counselling service available to any youth in Australia aged 25 and under. They can help you if you’re feeling depressed, lost or worried about things like your personal issues and studies.

Sexual Assault counselling - 1800 424 017

Knowing what to do when you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted can be difficult. The New South Wales Rape Crisis Centre is here to help. Call or visit the site for confidential support from professionally trained crisis counsellors.