Find out about managing your tuition fees and other study fees – how much your fees are, how to pay them, when to pay them, using FEE-HELP and more. 

If you cannot find the information you need below, contact the Student Centre

How much are my fees?

International students and domestic students pay the same tuition fees at UTS College. How much you pay for your program will depend on what you study, and how long you study. 

UTS College English Programs

  • Academic English (AE)
  • IELTS Preparation

A$540 per week
(minimum 10 week term)

UTS Foundation Studies

  • Standard (2 Semesters)


UTS Foundation Studies

  • Extended (3 Semesters)


UTS College Diploma

  • Standard (3 Semesters) 
  • Accelerated (2 Semesters)


UTS College Diploma

  • ​Extended (4 Semesters)


UTS College English Programs

  • Academic English (AE)
  • IELTS Preparation

A$550 per week
(minimum 10 week term)

UTS Foundation Studies

  • Standard (2 Semesters)


UTS Foundation Studies

  • Extended (3 Semesters)


UTS College Diploma

  • Standard (3 Semesters) 
  • Accelerated (2 Semesters)


UTS College Diploma

  • ​Extended (4 Semesters)


Additional fees

If you need to repeat a subject because you did not successfully complete it the first time, you will need to pay for that subject again.

UTS College may also charge extra fees for additional needs like:

  • replacement testamur: $50 
  • transcript: $20 
  • student card replacement: $20 
  • international student processing: $250
  • late re-enrolment: $500.

Re-enrolling students

If you are re-enrolling for another semester, you need to pay your fees before you re-enrol. You will receive an invoice in week 10 of the current semester, which will list the due date.

If you are a domestic student using the FEE-HELP scheme, you may choose to continue deferring your payment.

Important dates for fee payments.

What is FEE-HELP and how do I apply?

FEE-HELP is an Australian Government loan scheme to help eligible students in paying part or all of their tuition fees. Australian citizens, holders of humanitarian permanent resident visas and some New Zealand citizens are eligible for FEE-HELP assistance.

All UTS College diplomas are covered by FEE-HELP. 

To apply, you’ll need to complete a ‘Request for FEE-HELP – Non-university private higher education providers form’, which is available online through eStudent. Your offer letter will provide guidance on how to complete the form. 

For more information about eligibility and the conditions of the loan, visit the Study Assist website or download the HELP Study Assist brochure

How do I pay?

Payments to UTS College can be made online or using payment apps.

logo-bpay.pngStep 1 
Sign in to your preferred bank’s online system and select to make a payment using the BPAY option. 


Step 2

Enter the Biller code, CRN and payment amount. The CRN is shown on the top right-hand corner of your invoice or the fee page of your offer letter. If you don’t know your CRN, visit the Student Centre or email


Biller Code: 959676

Customer Reference Number (CRN): as indicated in Offer Letter or invoice

Internet Banking - BPAY 

Contact your bank or financial institution to make this payment from your cheque, debit, credit card or transaction account. 

For more information visit


For any VISA or Mastercard from Australia or other countries.

Step 1 
Go directly to the UTS College BPOINT payment site. 

Step 2 
Make sure the Biller Code is 959676

Step 3
Enter the CRN and amount. Your CRN is shown on the top right-hand corner of your invoice or the fee page of your offer letter. If you don’t know your CRN, please visit the Student Centre  or email

Step 4
Enter the payment amount and select your preferred payment option. 

A security PIN will be sent to your credit card’s registered mobile phone number. Enter this number you are sent to confirm the payment.


Preferred method of payment.

Step 1
Go directly to the UTS College Flywire payment site.

Step 2 
Select ‘Student Portal’. 

Step 3
Enter the payment amount, the country you are paying from and your preferred payment method. 

Step 4
Create an account or sign in to your existing account. 

Step 5
Fill in the basic information, so your transfer is easily identified. 

Step 6
Review your booking and submit it to Flywire. 

You will be taken to a confirmation page where you will receive Flywire payment delivery instructions. 

From the time you receive confirmation, you will have two business days to make the payment.

Once fees are received by Flywire, they will forward them to UTS College and send you a confirmation email.


Step 1
Open the WeChat Pay or Alipay apps.

Step 2
Scan the QR Code on your invoice. 


Step 3
Enter the payment amount. 

Step 4
Tap on and enter your 7-digit student ID number.

Step 5
Type your name and mobile number. 

Step 6
Confirm payment. 

Step 7
Alipay/WeChat will inform you about the payment result. 

Make bank cheque/bank draft payable to UTS College and send to:

UTS College Student Admissions
P.O. Box K1065
NSW 1240 Australia

Download and complete the Telegraphic transfer (TT)/direct deposit (DD) form. When the TT or DD has been organised, please fax or email the completed form together with a copy of the receipt to the UTS College Student Admissions on either Fax +61 2 9281 9875 or email Students must include their full name and UTS College student number on the bank receipt.

Important: Please be aware of fraudulent behaviour offering discounts to students paying fees.

Unpaid fees and withholding examination results

Library fines and outstanding loans 

It’s important that you return items from the library on time. You will only receive your examination results or academic transcript once you return items and/or pay any late fees. 

Contact the library.

UTS Housing and outstanding fees 

If you owe fees to UTS Housing, you will not be able to receive your examination results. Your academic transcript will also be unavailable until all overdue fees have been paid. 

Once you have paid the UTS Housing Office, they will give you a statement that shows a zero balance (no fees owing). Please bring this to the Student Centre and, once the details have been confirmed, your results will be available the next day.

Contact the UTS Housing Service.


In some circumstances, you can apply to have your tuition fees refunded in full or in part. For example, if:

  • your program is cancelled
  • you need to cancel your enrolment before the program begins (or before census date, for domestic students) 
  • you are refused a study visa or breach visa conditions (for international students)
  • there are compassionate circumstances that prevent you from continuing your program 
  • you have been approved to transfer your studies to another education provider - Download the International Student Transfer Request from UTS College to Other Provider Procedure (PDF 347 KB).

Other refunds might also be given for Homestay fees and Airport Welcome services fees, and Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). 

For full details and refund conditions, in the UTS College Refund Policy (PDF 155 KB).   

Who can I contact for help?

Contact the Student Centre if you have any questions about your fees.  

Student Centre


(+61 2) 9218 8666



Ground Floor
187 Thomas Street
Haymarket NSW 

Monday to Friday (9 am – 5 pm) except Public Holidays.