There are certain rights you are guaranteed in Australia, regardless of your citizenship.

General legal matters – UTS Student Legal Service

All students currently enrolled at UTS and UTS College have access to free legal advice through the UTS Student Legal Service. This service is provided by the UTS Student’s Association. The legal service is run by a solicitor who is assisted by two trainee lawyers. All legal advice is provided by the solicitor and all matters are dealt with in strict confidence.

What you can get help with

Legal advice is provided on a range of matters including tenancy, employment, traffic and criminal offences, civil matters, consumer claims, debts, family issues, business, and many other areas. The Student Legal Service can also certify documents as true copies, and witness statutory declarations and other formal documents.

What you can't get help with

Please note, the UTS Student Legal Service does not provide advice on visa or migration matters, or on any issues that you may have against UTS College or UTS.

Opening hours and location

Tuesday and Wednesday: 10am – 4pm

Thursday: 11am – 8pm

Location: UTS Tower Building 1, level 5, room 12.

Contact details

Drop in when we are open or contact us for an appointment:


When emailing for an appointment, please provide:

  • Your name,
  • Your Student ID,
  • The nature of your legal problem – e.g. tenancy, employment, family law or traffic charge,
  • Some brief details of what has happened, and what you are after,
  • Three different times when you could come and see us, during our opening hours.

For further information please see the UTS Student Legal Service website.

Other useful contacts

If you are an International student and have a visa issue please contact Redfern Legal Centre’s International Student’s Advice Line on (+61 2) 9698 7645.

If you have a problem with your employment please contact the Fair Work Ombudsman at Please note that any claim for unfair dismissal must be made to the Fair Work Commission within 21 days of the date of dismissal.

Have you ever bought an unreliable appliance or get overcharged for a service? Well, the government can help you. Australian Consumer Law includes legal protection guaranteeing consumer rights when buying goods and services, including to International students. If you have a problem with goods or services that you have bought or are considering buying, visit the NSW Fair Trading NSW Fair Trading website. There, you can also lodge a complaint about a business and learn more about your rights as a consumer.

The Overseas Students Ombudsman (OSO) investigates issues that international  students enrolled in UTS College ELICOS (English) and Diploma courses have when studying in Australia. Complaints should first be lodged with UTS College before contacting the OSO. To find out more about what the OSO does go to the Overseas Students Ombudsman website.

The NSW Ombudsman investigates issues that international  students enrolled in the UTS Foundation Studies program have when studying in Australia. Complaints should first be lodged with UTS College before contacting the NSW Ombudsman. To find out more about what the NSW Ombudsman does go to the NSW Ombudsman website.

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) can help you if your school is unable to fully deliver your course of study. The TPS may also aid you if you have withdrawn from, or not started your course and are eligible for a refund of tuition fees that you have not received. Find out more at the service’s Tuition Protection Service website.