Coming to a new city to study also means finding somewhere new to live! Fortunately, there are many options in Sydney so you can find somewhere to suit your lifestyle and budget. 

Choose to stay at our UTS College Student Residence at Scape - across the road from our Quay Street campus, with a local Australian family, or share an apartment with friends. Whether you are over or under the age of 18, and want to live close to the campus or commute, there’s an accommodation option perfect for you.

When should I book my accommodation?

The best time to  book your accommodation is when you apply to study at UTS College - it’s part of  the application form.

To book into a Homestay, you must send your flight details and Homestay request at least two weeks before you arrive in Australia. The UTS College Accommodation Team will book your Homestay for a five week period, from your day of arrival.

For Scape and other student accommodation providers, you can book before you arrive as most of their websites will have photos and details of their facilities. Alternatively, you can book a hotel serviced apartment, backpackers or youth hostel for a short period when you first arrive while you look for long term independent housing.

What is the best area of Sydney to live in?

The best area to live in Sydney ultimately depends upon you, what you enjoy doing, and your budget.

If you want to live close to the campus, and you love a buzzing city environment, be prepared to spend more on your rent. If you prefer a slower pace, there are plenty of quiet suburbs in Sydney where you might feel more comfortable. If you enjoy outdoor activities, a room in a beach-side apartment might be the best option for you.

Sydney is a safe city, but it's important to live in a suburb where you feel safe. Choose a room or flat to live in that's easy to reach by public transport.

It's a good idea to do some research before deciding which suburb you want to live in. UTS College students tend to live in inner suburbs such as:

  • Alexandria, Annandale, Ashfield,
  • Burwood
  • Camperdown, Campsie, Chatswood, Croydon
  • Darlington, Dulwich Hill
  • Enmore, Erskineville
  • Homebush
  • Leichhardt, Lewisham, Lilyfield
  • Marrickville, Newtown
  • Petersham
  • St Peters, Stanmore, Summer Hill.

Other suburbs popular with students that are conveniently located for public transport include: Strathfield, Hurstville, Mascot and Rockdale. You can explore Sydney suburbs online via or Domain.

Accommodation cost

The cost of your accommodation largely depends on where you live and the type of property. As a guide, the further away you live from the Sydney Central Business District (CBD), the less you will pay in rent.

A private room in shared accommodation that’s close to the city will cost between $300 and $400 per week. A one bedroom apartment in Sydney's CBD has an average cost of $580 per week. More information can be ound at:

What are the options for students under 18 years?

If you are an international student under 18 and not living in UTS College approved accommodation, you need to have welfare arrangements approved by the Department of Home Affairs.

UTS College approved accommodation and welfare arrangements 

UTS College approved accommodation and welfare arrangements for International students under 18 include: 


Living with a local family is a great way for you to experience life in Australia and practise speaking English. All of our Homestays have been specially chosen to ensure that you're provided with a safe and supportive home environment. Each home is within 45-60 minutes travelling time from campus, in a variety of locations around Sydney.


Scape is one of Australia’s largest providers of student accommodation. Each building is purpose-built featuring ultra-modern facilities including study areas, collaboration zones and social spaces to connect with friends. Providing all the comforts of home in a safe, community-style setting, Scape has everything you need at your fingertips.

Special Hosts Arrangements 

Parents or legal guardians can nominate a suitable friend or a relative to accommodate a student whilst studying at UTS College (fees and charges apply).

Can I change my accommodation after I've moved in?

If you’re under 18 you need to remain in UTS College approved accommodation until you turn 18 years of age.

Most lease agreements will have a minimum notice period. This applies to Scape and other student accommodation providers as well as the private rental market.

For private rentals, you need to check the terms of your lease. This will tell you how much notice you are required to provide to your landlord or agent. Some lease agreements such as Scape will require you to find substitute tenants before you can end your lease.

In any case, you need to know what's in your lease agreement. If you have any doubts or would like your lease agreement you can contact the UTS College Accommodation Team for further assistance.


Welfare and Accommodation Team

Phone: (+61 2) 9218 4911 (24/7 welfare/accommodation line)



Ground Floor, 187 Thomas Street
(Blue Building)
Haymarket, NSW 2000 Australia

Welfare and Accommodation Team