Applying for a visa

You can submit your student visa application, once you have your UTS College Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and your Overseas student health cover (OSHC) has been arranged. Your education representative will assist you with the visa application, but if you would like more information visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Here is some general advice from the Department of Home Affairs to keep in mind when submitting your visa application:

  1. Submit your visa application no later than six weeks before course commencement to avoid late commencement, and no earlier than three months before you are due to commence.
  2. Check the Department of Home Affairs document checklist to see what evidence you’re required to provide with your application. Most students will require:
    • Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
    • Overseas student health cover (OSHC)
    • Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) statement
    • Evidence of English language proficiency
    • Evidence of funds
    • Health examination
    • Passport.
  3. All documents should be colour scanned and saved as PDFs, and certified translations should be provided if your document is not in English.
  4. Failing to provide evidence with your application can result in requests for further information, which will add an additional 28 days to your visa processing time.

Visa conditions

Visas are granted for the period of time stated in the Confirmation of Enrolment(s) (CoEs) you have received. With your student visa you can:

  • participate in an eligible program of study
  • bring family members to Australia with you
  • apply online in or outside Australia.

On the Department of Home Affairs website, you can see all conditions and check your eligibility.

You need to be:

Work restrictions 

As an international student, you are not allowed to work until you have started your program. You can work up to 40 hours every two weeks while your program is in session. For more information on your work rights visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

For more information you can refer to the official Australian Government website for advice on working while studying in Australia.

Program progress/attendance

If your attendance drops below 80%, UTS College is required to advise the Department of Home Affairs. This could result in the cancellation of your visa. Personal reasons such as weddings, holidays, sports or hobbies are not acceptable reasons for missing classes.

It is also important that you arrive in class on time. Late students are marked absent. Lateness to class disrupts your studies and also your classmates. You cannot change your class without the permission of UTS College.

Health insurance

You need to arrange Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) before you apply for your student visa. Comprehensive OSHC can be arranged by UTS College through our preferred OSHC provider Medibank. For detailed information regarding the cover offered by Medibank Comprehensive, available only when arranging your OSHC through UTS College, visit the Medibank Private website. If you prefer to make your own OSHC arrangements, you will need to send a copy of your policy details with your offer acceptance prior to your CoE being issued.

Address details

You can view and update your personal information, including your address details using eStudent. If you are an international student, you are asked to keep UTS College advised of any change to address, personal email or telephone numbers within 7 days of any change.

Welfare for Under 18 students

If you are applying for a student visa and you are under 18 years of age, you must have adequate welfare arrangements in place.

What happens if you fail to meet visa conditions?

If you do not comply with student visa requirements, including updating any changes to your personal details within 7 days, your visa could be cancelled. Visit our Legal help page for some tips and advice.

Renewing your visa

If you need to renew your visa, please contact the UTS College Student Centre staff to obtain the necessary documents at least two weeks before your visa expires. You must then take your passport and Overseas Student Health Cover details with you to the Department of Home Affairs office.

If you hold a student visa and need to extend your studies at UTS College beyond the expected period of study, you will need to ask UTS College Student Centre staff to additional visa documentation to cover this extra period of study.

Migration advice

Migration advice can only be provided through a registered migration agent.

Find an agent

Who to contact for help or advice

For further assistance please contact the Student Centre at